April 06, 2012

Why we loose a bit of humanity

Yesterday I found another brilliant TED talk: Chip Kidd: Designing books is no laughing matter. OK, it is.

Yesterday I didn't knew who Chip Kidd is. Today I'm grateful that I heard him, that he shared his love and passion for his trade, for the design of printed book covers.

Wikipedia says:

Chip Kidd (born September 12, 1964) is an American author, editor, and graphic designer, best known for his book covers.
I would at least say he is a brilliant and passionate book cover designer. Look at him, look at the way he talks about his covers and tell me you don't feel the urge to touch those books, to smell them, to feel them.

When you listen to him you suddenly feel that you wake up from a dream, like a new dimension of reality is regained.

He is more a priest than a geek, his word is more an incantation than a statement. Maybe that's way I keep hearing his words over and over again:

Much is to be gained by eBooks: ease, convenience, portability. But something is definitely lost: tradition, a sensual experience, the comfort of thingy-ness -- a little bit of humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment